This Cookie Dough Chocolate Cake isn’t your traditional chocolate cake with frosting but combines the best of both worlds. Cookie Dough and Cake all in one. This Cookie Dough Chocolate Cake will for sure be a hit for any occasion but be prepared to share the recipe with friends! I made this for the first time for Brandon’s 30th Birthday (I scored major brownie points).
Cookie Dough Chocolate Cake
This chocolate cake is to die for! I made it for Brandon's 30th Birthday and everyone who was at our house asked for the recipe so they could make it for someone's birthday!
- Chocolate Cake:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cup Dutch-processed cocoa sifted
- 3 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cup hot strong brewed coffee or hot water
- 4 large eggs
- 4 tsp vanilla
- Cookie Dough Frosting:
- 2 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cup light brown sugar packed
- 4 tsp vanilla
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup + 4 Tbsp milk room temperature
- 2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 4 oz dark chocolate
- 4 oz heavy whipping cream
- Step 1 Chocolate Cake:
- Step 2 Preheat oven to 350F, grease three 9″ round baking pans and dust with cocoa powder. Line bottoms with parchment.
- Step 3 Place all dry ingredients into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Stir to combine.
- Step 4 In a medium bowl whisk all wet ingredients (pour coffee in slowly as not to cook the eggs if very hot).
- Step 5 Add wet ingredients to dry and mix on medium for 2-3 mins. Batter will be very thin.
- Step 6 Pour evenly into prepared pans. If you have a kitchen scale you can use it to make sure batter is evenly distributed.
- Step 7 Bake for 20-25 mins, rotate pans in oven.
- Step 8 Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out mostly clean. A total of 30-35mins.
- Step 9 Cookie Dough Frosting:
- Step 10 Beat butter until creamy, add sugars and beat on high until pale and fluffy (approx. 2-3mins). Add vanilla and mix until combined.
- Step 11 Reduce speed to low and slowly add in flour mixture. Mix until just incorporated. Slowly pour in milk. Increase speed to med-high and beat for 2-3 minutes until light and fluffy. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Step 12 Ganache:
- Step 13 Place chopped chocolate and cream into a microwave safe bowl. Stir to combine. Microwave for 20 seconds, stir. Microwave in 10 second intervals, stirring in between, until ganache is smooth and silky. Set aside to cool completely before using on cake.
- Step 14 Assembly:
- Step 15 Place one layer of cake on a cake stand or serving dish. Top with about 1 cup buttercream. Repeat with remaining layers. Smooth the outside, chill for 30mins.
- Step 16 Using a teaspoon, drip ganache along the edges then fill in the top. Chill for 15mins.
- Step 17 Top with chopped cookies if desired.